I am always looking for a recipe that is “crockable” so that dinner can be hot and ready when we are. I threw together some ingredients I had on hand and came up with a delicious chili that warmed our bellies and our souls with loads of nutrition and flavor.
Rock the crock and enjoy!
- 1 lb dry 16 bean mix
- ½ lb dry Northern beans
- 2 ½ quarts water
- 1 sweet potato, cubed (or pumpkin puree)
- 4 T chili powder
- 2 t black pepper
- 2 t cumin
- 2 t chipotle powder
- 2 t paprika
- 2 t garlic powder
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 swish olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 T Earthbound Farm organic crushed fresh chili pepper organic puree
- 1 T Earthbound Farm organic crushed Italian blend puree
- 1 leek, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks greens, chopped (I used Swiss Chard and beet greens)
- 4 peppers, red, yellow, orange, green diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- Add-ins: 2 t diced jalapeños, Juice of ½ lime, 3 (14.5 oz) cans fire roasted organic tomatoes
Add dry beans, water, sweet potato, chili powder, pepper, cumin, chipotle powder, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne to pressure cooker and cook per manufacturer’s instructions.
Meanwhile, sauté garlic, chili pepper, Italian herbs, leek, carrots, greens, peppers, and mushrooms in cast iron skillet.
Transfer sauté to crock pot, along with jalapenos, lime juice, fire roasted diced tomatoes, and cooked beans and sweet potato from pressure cooker.
Set crock pot to appropriate setting to reach desired temperature within desired time frame.
Everything Vegetarian Slow Cooker Cookbook: Sweet Potato Chili