I stumbled upon this idea to use a vegetable peeler to create fettuccini noodles from carrots on Pinterest. My kids love carrots, so we gave it a try. The result exceeded our expectations. The texture was similar to pasta and the flavor was mild and neutral. We all loved it, teenagers included.
Shave 4-5 large carrots into a stock pot. Use a knife to slice the core into thin pieces. Cover with a bit of water. Steam and stir for about 5 minutes, until desired tenderness is reached.
Chop some tomatoes and add a can of cannellini (or prefered) beans.
Meanwhile, make the vegan pesto and Parmesan topping. Pour the pesto over the carrot noodles and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
You’ll (probably) have leftover Parmesan. Store in the refrigerator and try with other dishes. It is a favorite condiment in our house!
Vegan Pesto Recipe
- 3 cups fresh basil ~3 ounces
- 1/4 cup walnuts substitute pinenuts, almonds or cashews
- 1/4 cup yeast flakes
- 3 cloves garlic substitute 1-2 tsp. garlic powder or minced granules
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil optional
- 1/4 cup red onion substitute 1-2 tsp. onion powder or minced granules
- 1-2 Medjool dates optional, can also use 1 tsp. honey, maple syrup or other sweetener
- 1/4 cup vegan yogurt, cheese or hummus optional
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt optional
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until creamy and smooth.
Vegan Parmesan Topping
- 1 cup raw walnuts and/or almonds best if pre-soaked
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. lemon zest optional
- Place all of the ingredients in your food processor. If using a salt based lemon zest, omit the sea salt. Otherwise, grate the skin of an organic lemon with a fine grater. Word of caution: Don’t over-process as nuts will turn into a paste. Use the pulse setting at the end if you have one.
- Store in an air-tight jar in the refrigerator. Add to anything and everything.
Colleen Kachmann is a Master health coach and certified recovery professional. She is the founder of Recovery University, an online sobriety program to help professional women reverse alcohol use disorder. She offers a 12-week masterclass, on-going group support and private coaching to women navigating post acute withdrawal syndrome.. Buy her book on Amazon. Find her on YouTube.